Thursday, March 31, 2016

Minerva's....

We went over to Donna and Neil's last night and ordered in from Minerva's...always lovely to dine in their place.  Neil and I had our usual souvlaki and Jim and Donna had chicken cacciatore.  It was the first time Jim had that since he usually has the chicken parmegiano.  Everything was excellent as usual and great to catch up with old friends.

The dentist for both of us today....joy of joys.  However,  I noticed The Daily Catch was advertising first fresh halibut of the season so had to by some.  It's like gold at $30 a pound.   And a whole crab is $32.  I will treat myself to that one of these days if they have live ones in but will have to cook it myself since they don't do that.  Ah...I miss my Victoria Thrifty's where I could always order a live crab to be cooked and then picked up within the hour.  And they usually put on a special on Mother's Day so you could buy one for around $11.  Well, those days are gone everywhere.

My mouth is watering at all the crab,  halibut,  and salmon Chris brought back from his yearly fishing trip and generously shared with us.


This is the amount of halibut I bought today for $15.31 (about 1/2 pound).  I'll make some halibut burgers with aioli...seems the best way to use a small amount of fish.

Well,  at least at our favourite Japanese restaurant in the area we still get our $7.95 beef or teriyaki dinner with includes miso soup,  tea,  tempura,  the teriyaki,  rice,  8 california roll pieces of sushi,  and salad.  I don't know how they do it!