Sunday, June 07, 2015

Bunches of bouquets for Carol...

Carol is having a medical procedure Wednesay and I had this idea of taking photos of flowers around our area and sending them to her with hugs and best wishes.  Then I thought,  well,  I know lots of people with lovely gardens so I'll ask them to send me photos too. And of course they came through….after all,  they are my friends!

So,  dear friend,  these are all especially for you.  Lots of people are thinking about you!

Well,  these first ones aren't from someone I know but they were so lovely I had to include them.  They are photos from Colin Sowa who is in a Palm Springs Neighbourhood  Facebook group that posts lots of neat photos.  These are what is currently blooming in Demuth Park... very close to where we have our condo.








And a couple of photos from Susan,  our neighbour in Victoria.






And these are from Fern,  who has the pleasure of tending to her garden while viewing  the Gorge waterway in Victoria….























And these are from my friend,  Linda,  who is always good  for a few laughs!

"We go away a lot and Cec didn't want to keep asking our neighbors to water our plants.  Instead of going to Art Knapp we went to the Dollar Store!  Too funny and I think they look great.   Better remove them in October or the neighbors will get suspicious! 

I don't have a green thumb.   Only two left ones. "


And from Patty,

Here are a very few shots in the garden, of what the deer leave alone!








The next few are from Susan and Alan's wonderful English garden in the market town of Otley, Yorkshire.  We have sat in their garden and shared a glass of wine on many occasions.  We have watched their two cats,  one a real hunter doing "real" hunting and the other a wannabe hunter who wants to be part of the game but can't really do it.  His strategy is to very proudly bring twigs and lay them by their feet.  Very amusing.  We have also been amused by watching mentally challenged doves feeding at their feeder.  Each time they seem to have to relearn how to do it!







And these from Cindy,  another Victoria neighbour.

Nothing too exciting in the garden today - Mr. Efficiency deadheaded the last still-blooming rhodo. 








And these from Carole,  another Victoria friend.

I love flowers and  I am grateful to be living in a climate that can grow so many different  kinds all year round. I always have in my garden ones that have been there for years and years and others I am planting for the first time. Each spring I love  it when the new growth comes and the surprises that come too.  Carole


 Behind the colourful lilies is the tall curly garlic.


 Rhodos were magnificent this year.  They love my shady garden.


 I have a homemade spray to deter the deer.  It may be working!  The deer have ruined  all my roses over the years but his little bush is struggling to make a difference.


This is my front garden.  It is a peaceful spot in the middle of the busy city.

And these from Donna.  She recently sold her house and their new condo has lovely grounds too but these are from the house.

Such a good idea Janice.  I attach pictures of the gardens from our home on
Wiltshire Street. 










And these from Kate.   I'm so glad she included her son Eliot (Derek and Mary's grandson) in some.

I love your idea! Admittedly, our garden on Richmond was much nicer than our current one so the final three photos are from there. The first of Eliot is in the camellia bush at his school and the maple tree is in front of a house on Island Road. Can’t wait to see your post!










And here are some photos from Susan,  my Artist Trading Card buddy and who is always inspiring me with her wonderful art.


My garden isn't looking too spectacular this year - we had a hail storm a few weeks ago that ruined many things :(  But, I've attached a few pics for you to use as you wish!

Blessings,
Susan 















And from Erna who currently has some major landscaping being done and large amounts of soil being delivered so this is a tranquil spot at a friend's home.


And now,  my gardens.  Well,  I actually don't have a single plant….being away half the year it just doesn't seem much point.  Maybe I'll go to the dollar store like Linda!  Or,  I was thinking of floral indoor/outdoor  carpet.  But I have lots of lovely flowers around me.

Many of our apartment neighbours have great balcony gardens.  This is taken from our balcony.



I went out the back to get some photos of the rhodos as there is a big park of them there but they are pretty much finished now.  But I was pleased to see California poppies growing wild.  These grew wild beside our house in Victoria and I just loved seeing them…I love "volunteers" you don't have to plant or tend…



The rhodos are magnificent when in season but most are pretty much like this now or worse.



And another thing that grew wild in our back lane were hollyhocks.  They are beside the poppies.



And of course,  Barbara Lowy's wonderful garden beside our apartment is always great to look at.  Jim and I and many other people who grew up in Vancouver and who visited Stanley Park and English Bay a lot have admired this house standing alone  among the apartments all our lives..



A son of the folks who own all the apartments that Hollyburn owns across Canada moved into the Penthouse a few years ago and insisted on a tropical garden being put in.  We love it!  There is often lots of floral but seems an in-between tim at the moment.




This year they added six hanging baskets and they look great.



Now,  I made a real discovery by taking photos and looking more closely at this garden.  All these bushes in the foreground here are actually rosemary!  I have been meaning to buy a rosemary plant but never seem to be where they are being sold.  Now I have rosemary a go-go.



And of course the Sylvia Hotel and its ivy….our local that we get so much pleasure out of.


The Sylvia's patio.


And now the "Garden of the Laughing Men".




It's unbelievable how many people from all over the world enjoy this installation.  I defy anyone not to smile.





This tree has been a part of this building for a long time…love it!




These are blackberry bushes which will be bearing blackberries around August.  There are loads of them along the seawall.




And of course,  I would have to include a photo of seeweed!


Thanks again for everyone who participated!