Wednesday, December 17, 2014

southwest 29th arts FESTIVAL INDIO 2015 poster

I loved the painting chosen for this year's poster
desert falls by dennis nagatani


And then I realized why….it's rather like my Mondrian cushion "poured out"



I see this painting is from what he calls his "poured paint" series….no wonder I thought it looked like my pillow poured!  I may try this myself.  Some other examples.





In his signature series, Nagatani pours the paint directly on the canvas.  It is a brushless technique he calls “controlled paint pouring”.
Washes of acrylic paint are poured one into another, or as a single gesture.  Each layer of color is allowed to thoroughly dry before the next is poured.  During the pouring process the colors simultaneously flow together and overlay each other, capturing the movement and energy of each pour.  It is a time consuming process but with patience, transparent veils and  subtle color blends are revealed.  Last, calligraphic accent strokes are applied.
The results are beautiful and uniquely one of a kind.