Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Happy Canada Day!

So much to be thankful for.

I was wondering what to post today and the answer came when I picked up the book "Provençal Cooking:  Savoring the simple life in France"  that Elaine gave me for my birthday.   The author went to Provence to translate the poems of René Char and ended up staying for a while.   The book begins with a poem by Char which seems appropriate for a day when we think about our country.

“LONG LIVE...

This country is but a wish of the spirit, a counter-sepulcher.

In my country, tender proofs of spring and badly dressed birds are preferred to far-off goals.

Truth waits for dawn beside a candle. Window glass is neglected. To the watchful, what does it matter?

In my country, we don't question a man deeply moved.

There is no malignant shadow on the capsized boat.

A cool hello is unknown in my country.

We borrow only what can be returned increased.

There are leaves, many leaves, on the trees in my country. The branches are free to bear no fruits.

We don't believe in the good faith of the victor.

In my country, we say thank you.” 
― René CharThe Dawn Breakers / Les Matinaux