Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Everyone and their dog…and now me.

I'm still having problems with my arm and shoulder and some people have talked highly of acupuncture so I went for a session yesterday and will have another one tomorrow.  It does seem to make a difference as my muscles are very tight in the injured area and it does get them loosened up.  Most everyone I talk to has had acupuncture treatment for something or other and Mary even mentioned her dog,  Oliver, was treated with it!

My only other experience with Chinese medicine was the Teen Jore Lee store in the neighbourhood of Carleton School,  my elementary school.  He was a Chinese Herbalist and as kids (Jim remembers this too) we were all rather frightened by his store and products.  Lots of rumours abounded like you would be kidnapped and parts of you would end up in some of his bottles.  We used to dare each other to run in and out of the store.  Linda,  I'm sure you and me were involved in some of this together!

 I googled Teen Jore Lee and came up with this from MemoryBC:

George Y. Lee was born in Victoria. He attended Oregon Agricultural College in 1913 before returning to Victoria in 1914. He operated Lee Dye and Company, later to be known as Lee Dye Sons. Around 1935, Lee moved to Vancouver where he operated the Teen Jore store which specialized in Chinese herbs. Lee married Yet Lan in China in 1910 and together they had seven children. «