Saturday, May 17, 2014

The student life...



I began my SFU continuing ed course on the Savoy Operas of Gilbert and Sullivan yesterday at Harbour Centre.  I hadn't taken the bus downtown since we got back from Palm Springs so that was a neat experience.  A cruise ship was in….just might get Jim to take an Alaska cruise one of these days.  He's very busy with his contract at the moment and probably will be most of the summer.

I really enjoyed the course and the fellow giving it, Tom Durrie,  is a very interesting chap.  He has a blog which I will start to read.  Here is his notes about himself….as you can see he's an old hippie radical who has had a varied and interesting life.

http://tdurrie.wordpress.com/about/

He also mentioned that UBC allows people 65+ to take credit courses for free….no kidding!  I looked it up just be be sure and so it is.  Some over prescribed faculties are not available such as medicine,  law,  etc.

And I happened to be sitting beside someone whose husband (divorced,  deceased) taught at Camosun beginning in 1971 so we had lots to talk about.  Her daughter convinced her to move to Vancouver five years ago.  Her daughter picked her up so I met her,  Sandra Clarke, who is now a child psychologist.  Elaine,  perhaps you know her since she mentioned she went to Cedar Hill?  A small world.