Saturday, May 03, 2014

600 and counting, sushi outlets in Vancouver



It is amazing really considering in 1969 almost no one was even familiar with the word "sushi".  When my Japanese friend, Judy, got married in 1969 she took her friends aside and "warned" us that at the reception there would be the usual Western style buffet (The reception was at Frank Baker's) but that her grandmother would be making some food that was considered very special by Japanese people but we wouldn't be expected to eat it.  She described it as cold rice,  raw fish, and dried seaweed.  I think we all went "ugh".

I tried some and felt it wasn't too bad.  My first experience with "sushi" although I didn't know the word then.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Metro+Vancouver+sushi+explosion+counting/9801640/story.html

I really miss Tsunami Sushi that was on Robson.  You sat around a bar that had these boats of sushi dishes floating by and you picked what you wanted.  A fun experience.  You were charged by the number of small plates you had accumulated at the end.