Friday, January 24, 2014

Happy Birthday Mac!



The Mac was released 30 years ago today.  It was my first computer although as a family we had an Adam,  an Apple II,  and a PC before I bought this for myself.  Schools were into Apple products so that's why I got one and was a little annoyed that I had to pay $4,000 for pretty much what Jim was able to buy in a PC for $1500.  That did include a printer, hard drive, and 1200 baud modem.  I was really thrilled with the modem as I had been using a 300 baud modem on the Adam.  I think the Mac itself was $2500 and someone said to me that it was a great deal and to think of it like I got the computer for free because the program Hypercard was worth at least $2500.  Hypercard came with it.

I forget what year I bought it.  Richard will probably remember since it soon became a shared  computer with him.   I went to a workshop that summer on Hypercard and came home one day being so proud of myself doing a couple of little linking of "cards"…a very mini mini program.  Richard saw in a demo how someone had made an animated figure do a somersault.  He asked me how to do that.  I said I didn't have a clue and probably would never be able to do that.

And so he figured it out himself and the rest is history if you know our son,  Richard!

Just thinking how many Apple products we've bought…
Apple II,  2 Mac Plus (one for Richard),  iMac,  2 iPods,  2 Powerbooks (one for Richard),  2 iPhones, iPad,  iPad Mini, and last and definitely not least…my  current computer that I absolutely love….MacBook Air.