Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Itty Bitty Book Review: "The Light Between the Oceans"

"The Light Between the Oceans" by M.L. Stedman


This is a choice for Vancouver Newcomer's Evening book club.  Written by a woman born in Western Australia and now living in London and is her first novel.

I found the story very engaging and impressed that it is a first novel.   She really does the setting of the lighthouse well.  And a fascinating moral dilemma.  Recommended for sure.

I don't think I mentioned another book I was impressed with as well.  A new mystery writer for me....a Cuban now living in Canada,  José Latour.  I really liked his "Havana Best Friends".  Excellent depicition of modern Havana.  I started another one by him, "Havana World Series".  I couldn't really get into it.  So,  maybe this won't be a new mystery writer for me after all.

I am looking forward to reading J.K. Rowling's mystery and it should be coming up at the library soon. I got on the hold list as #2 since I read about it in The Telegraph the day before it became big news in Canada.  There are now 262 holds and only 3 copies.  I'm sure they'll be ordering more but I think they'll be hard to get.