Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A foggy day...

I always enjoyed waking up to fog as a kid....real fog that you couldn't see in.  I'm not quite so keen on this marine layer type of fog like today that blocks out the sun....especially since we probably only have one more day of this wonderful sunshine.  But,  not to complain and we do need rain for many reasons.

So,  to think of bright things like the south of France.  For Thanksgiving, Monique brought over a bottle of red from Bandol which we enjoyed very much and also a bottle of rosé from Provence which we just might enjoy tonight with some fish.  Who knows,  the sunshine might be back by dinner time or before.

At the Hotel Grand Pacific yesterday Elaine and I were very attracted to the work of the current artist there, Colleen Lumb (www.colleenlumb.com)....very bright and cheerful and lots of primary colours.  On her website she says this about her work:
"I work quickly and spontaneously…to capture the initial energy…in what I feel is a playful and vibrant manner."

I was quite interested in her collection of brushes...mostly very large,  some huge even for house painting let alone painting a canvas!   She happened to be there and commented that the large brushes helped her with capturing energy.  Perhaps I'll bring some house painting brushes up and see what happens.  I find I work far too much with small brushes doing fiddly things that are necessary for what I want to portray but I don't find that part of painting that much fun.  Perhaps I'll experiment with a new style....

 Painting title:  "Nice is Nice in the Fall"
And it does capture Nice for me!


 No small fiddly brushes.