Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Posts from the past...

I've been backing up my blog and it's been quite fun seeing what I've posted over the years.   Every evening I would spend 20-30 minutes phoning parents about absences.

 January 1 2004

Happy New Year everyone!

Taking the day to clean out files before we begin our marathon travelling over the next six months. Came across this note on a telephoning session to parents about student absences...just in case I forgot why I retired!

Student 1: Father seemed surprised. Father has been sick. Felt son was reliable.
Student 2: Talked to Mom and Dad. Both seemed surprised.
Student 3: Guardian unaware of absences
Student 4: no answer
Student 5: Talked to mother. Has been sick the past 2 days but not before.
Student 6: Parents at wit's end. Refer to counsellor

Sunday, August 10, 2003


We had a good time in Vancouver and got another nice swim in the ocean. Went to Las Margaritas with our son...wow, what a trendy and popular place...good thing we went early. Food is pretty good. The night before we went to Pastis (on 4th) and had their special menu with wine pairings. They have an interesting collection of pastis pitchers, glasses, etc. Most things on the menu were good but the monkfish course (which is why we were attracted to it since we've had fabulous monkfish or "lotte" as they call it in France) was lousy. Then the red wine they brought for the upcoming course of lamb wasn't very good. We rarely complain but did so and the owner couldn't do enough to satisfy us. He brought us another wine and also gave us the choice of ordering from the regular dessert menu. And, best of all, he gave us two pastis glasses (Ricard brand) for our own collection! We were thrilled with this because we don't have this particular type of glass and we were just talking about how we must get more glasses the next time we go to France since our new tile floor in the kitchen is taking a toll on glassware. We were impressed with the customer service since the place was packed with regulars and probably always is. I can see why with this attention to pleasing the customer.


My mom and son who share the same birthday. My mom will be 90 on the next one!
Not too bad a pix considering I used my mini digital camera. My mom was quite amazed by it.

 * I am amazed too at the quality of photo considering this was a keychain camera that I bought in Paris at the train station that winter when Jim was  teaching in the south of France.  I really liked this little camera because I always had it with me since it was so small and on my keychain.  Now I have my iPhone always with me so always have a camera.

Friday, July 18, 2003


I was very saddened to hear of Carol Shield's death. I realize how much pleasure her writing has given me over the years. A friend lent me "The Box Garden" many years ago and I was quite intrigued by her style and subject matter. I didn't think she'd ever write something like "The Stone Diaries", though...wow, what a book!

When I introduced small groups reading various novels in my classes "The Stone Diaries" was just out in paperback and it was a really popular choice with the girls. I was surprised they related so well to it. I realize I no longer have my own copy. I have replaced it a number of times but guess I didn't the last time I loaned it to a student who was an infrequent attender but was turned on by being in the "Diaries" group. The enthusiasm for English class usually didn't last and that was the last I saw of the student and my book. I liked to think perhaps that particular student or perhaps some other young woman read that book and got something out of it. More realistically, it was pawned for a meal. That's ok too.

In one of the stories I read yesterday about Carol Shields a good friend told of how Carol remained able to laugh and feel joy even towards the end. She relates how Carol had the big TV moved to her bedroom so she could be distracted. The friend threatened to bring over a video she received with her new washing machine on how to do the laundry. They both broke out into gales of laughter about the idea of a video for doing the laundry. I liked that anecdote. It shows the kind of things women can laugh about and also how gender roles have changed and perhaps there does need to be a video with your new washing machine....!