Monday, August 15, 2011

Opinion: Who’s responsible for the recreation rioter? Parents, look in the mirror


I usually like what Shelley Fralic has to say but I think she is wide of the mark here. I think it's too easy to say parents have raised this group of spoiled brats. While I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth, I do believe life was simpler (and more restricted of course, especially as a woman). Our kids do have many options but also face many pressures and challenges.

Richard was over for dinner last night and he had learned that not one of the students in his class managed to snag a job and many looked for work in remote places in B.C. So, these are spoiled brats? They spent around $12,000 in fees and 12 months of their life to qualify for a stressful, not particularly well paid job and they can't even get that. And it's a job that provides a valuable social service.

Richard certainly seems to have made the right decision to take the Boeing job. This weekend he was at the Boeing Corporate Chalet at the Abbotsford Air Show with lots of beer and grub laid on.


Opinion: Who’s responsible for the recreation rioter? Parents, look in the mirror