Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bon Ton's

Yesterday we happened across Bon Ton's recently relocated in Kits on Broadway and couldn't resist going in since I remember my mother talking about how "fancy" it was although I don't think we ever had anything from this "Patisserie Francaise"...too expensive. Since John and Carol were coming for lunch today I thought I would buy a few things.

I had the server pick out a dozen of her favourite cookies. There didn't seem to be a lot of "French" type of pastries, actually. Also bought a couple of croissants and cheese straws. I guess everything was ok but not spectacular...Mary, your cheese straws are better!

And a rather different experience from France. Here, they asked me if I wanted a box...in France, they automatically give you a box and make a big production of tying a pretty ribbon with a bow around it even if you buy two small inexpensive things. It's just the way it's done in France. You will see from the photo how the experience is a little different.

Same with flowers, you buy one rose (flowers are usually pretty cheap compared to here) in France and it's wrapped in cellophane and ribboned. Flowers and pastries...it is the sizzle factor.