Sunday, October 25, 2009

Artwork

Well, I haven't really done very much artwork this year. I didn't even realize I didn't have a 2009 Art Portfolio on my blog. I did try to get into watercolours since that medium is a lot easier to transport around and thought I would do that during Feb and Mar in Palm Springs last year. That didn't work out although I did have a perfect place to do it.

Then the Spring and Summer were so good in terms of weather that I didn't seem to want to do any painting. I generally avoid courses since I like to just do my own thing but when I noticed that a course called "Hands-on Acrylics" was being offered by the woman I took the Absolute Beginner Drawing from I thought I'd give it a try.

It's been interesting to try various techniques and the idea of glazing (a thin layer of transparent paint...mixing medium and paint together) is something I will use and a few other ideas but I think I will find myself going back to my old techniques that I've learned on my own and give me pleasure.



"Tulips"
12 x 16 acrylic on canvas
Sept/09

This was the result of the first exercise and what was interesting was that we put the background in later. Not sure if I really like working this way but at least I know it's possible.



"Tulips"
12 x 16 acrylic on canvas
Oct/09

This is the same painting but after playing around with glazing.



"Herbes de Provence"
6 x 8 acrylic on canvas
Oct/09

This is a still life exercise we did and the idea was to mix paints a lot so of course what happens is that for me the colours end up being not my palette but I kind of liked it anyway. Next time we're going to play around with glazes with it so we'll see how it changes.



"Sunflowers"
11 x 14 acrylic on canvas
Oct/09

And this is something I started just to get back painting before I even started the course in September. I did sunflowers since I figured it would be a gentle start for me and while the field of sunflowers didn't turn out the way I really wanted (as often happens) I captured something that pleased me (as often happens). I did a bit of glazing on the actual sunflowers but didn't make much of a difference.