Sunday, May 24, 2009

Itty Bitty Book Review: The House on the Strand

"The House on the Strand" by Daphne du Maurier

This novel was published in 1969 and deals with the protagonist being a guinea pig for a scientist friend who is experimenting with a hallucinogenic drug which takes him to a world in the 14th Century. This world and the people in it become much more interesting than his own life and he becomes quite addicted to getting his fix to go on a "trip"...as does the reader since this other world is much more interesting to us as well. It has a bit of a thriller quality and I quite enjoyed it.

I wasn't really that familiar with du Maurier who is most famous for "Rebecca" which also became a Hitchcock film. I guess I've seen it at some point. This was one of my Christmas books from yesteryear.