Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Wren Restaurant

In a nutshell......pretentious,absurd, and staff with an attitude.

This is a new restaurant on Cadboro Bay Road next to Slaters. The menu looked interesting and they did an amazing job of creating an attractive space out of nothing. We were looking forward to having a new restaurant in the neighbourhood and probably would have become keen clients.

We had to wait an inordinately long time to get our wine yet one staff member stood in a daze at the bar the whole time and did nothing. The wine list is VERY small and no mention is made of where the wines come from. The wine we chose was from Australia and was unknown to us but was very good quality for the price.

Our first complaint was about a tapas "special" ($8) that consisted of a very small single one inch square of ravioli. This was taken off our bill after remarking that it was a joke. We had been warned that the dish consisted of one piece but I don't think anyone would think it would be so small. The filling was miniscule and unrecognizable. It was absurdly presented in a glass with a small pitcher of broth to pour over it. Weird presentation to say the least. The other tapas of escargot and the charcuterie plate were excellent quality and although small, not a laughable size. We commented positively to our server.

We decided to just order the tapas first and then see if we wanted main courses or continue with tapas. We also like to dine leisurely. Our server asked us three times in a five minute period if we had decided on our next course. What's up with that?

We decided on main courses. Jim had pasta with Chorizo, Monique had the mussles, and I ordered the rack of lamb. Again, Jim and Monique's portions were small but not laughable and of good quality. My "rack" of lamb was another story.

The server rudely walked away and refused to listen when when we complained about the "rack" of lamb which consisted of 2 small ribs of lamb, a bit of squash and roast potatoes served on a small sushi plate. This was listed as a main course and the cost was $30.

All tables were full but people didn't linger. Perhaps they were going home to order pizza to get a decent feed.

When I googled to see if there was any info or reviews I picked up this one:

"I walked in for lunch and I was treated horribly at the door. Over half of the tables were empty and I was told no that with no reservation too bad. I wasn't offered a table for later in the afternoon or even to book for another day.
I have never been treated so poorly in a restaurant.

Make sure you have a reservation if you plan on going!!"

I must say that I also have never been treated so poorly in a restaurant. My guess is they will be out of business in a matter of months. I certainly won't be darkening their door again.

* Update
I just got off the phone from a call from the owner. Phoning to hear my side of the story seemed like a positive step; however, her attitude was high minded and no apology for the rude behaviour of her server. It seems everyone but us adores her restaurant. Such arrogance!