Friday, April 13, 2007

World War II Battlefields

My friends are now touring the World War II battlefields and visiting Dieppe. Here are a couple poems written by completely unknown people.



D-Day Assault
Artist: Orville Fisher


D-Day poem by Iwan Willis

Adrenalin rushing, waves crashing
Waist high water, struggling to the shore
Drowning people shrieking for help
Frozen soldiers stranded on the beach
Scared young warriors soaking from the sea
Deadly grey shapes advancing on the troops.


This was my Brother by Mona Gould

This was my brother
At Dieppe,
Quietly a hero
Who gave his life
Like a gift,
Withholding nothing.

His Youth..his love..
His enjoyment of being alive..
His future, like a book
With half the pages still uncut.

This was my brother
At Dieppe.
The one who built me a doll house
When I was seven.
Complete to the last small picture frame.
Nothing forgotten.

He was awfully good at fixing things,
At stepping into the breach when he was needed.

That's what he did at Dieppe;
He was needed.
And even death must have been a little shamed
At his eagerness