Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Haibun Poetry

Josh wrote a poem in "Haibun" form recently...prose with haiku interspersed. I liked his poem (take a look at j o s h n o t e s) and was quite attracted to the form. I looked around for some other examples and found this.

Gossamer Wings
by Naia

Our potluck and ornament exchange is an annual tradition among long-time friends. We make a game of it, drawing numbers to determine the order in which each will choose an ornament or steal one already opened.


holiday table . . .
among soups and salads
a box of chocolates


This year there were nineteen gaily wrapped packages to tempt us. Dori selected the ornament I brought - a fabric angel with gossamer wings - and I winked at Paula when folks asked where I purchased it. In the few hours between her doctor's appointment and the arrival of blood and platelets, Paula and I had found every "good deal" in the hospital gift shop.


between infusions . . .
I buy
a second angel


When it was my turn, I unwrapped an Airedale wearing sparkly pajamas and four slippers with white pompoms on the toes. I probably shouldn't have exclaimed quite so excitedly, drawing attention that might tempt others to steal it. Jani looked over each ornament already opened, then decided to select another to unwrap. Phew! Suddenly I was aware of rubbing the pink bracelet I wore in Paula's honor, almost as if it could grant wishes.


chicken soup . . .
I wonder if the noodles
are homemade, too


Three more friends chose ornaments. Then, I saw that mischievous sparkle in Paula's eye. It was her turn . . . and, true to a dog-lover's nature, Paula reached across the table to claim the Airedale! After my anticipated quick pout, we all burst into laughter. That was December 17th.


12/22 . . .
the cancer-survivor bracelet
slips from my wrist

~for Paula: February 18, 1958 - December 22, 2004

For more of Naia's poetry:
Naia's Poetry & Art Gallery

Haibun: A Definition of the Haibun Style of Writing