Monday, September 26, 2005

Family Snapshot - my grandmother, Phoebe. Part 1

I remember my paternal grandmother, Phoebe, very well and still think about her even though I was only twelve when she died. I always thought of her as being a very elegant person and she was obviously delighted to have grandchildren. My father married quite late in life and his sister was a spinster. My grandmother was very much like my father in personality....a kind, gentle person with a quiet sense of humour.

I remember staying with her and my aunt during holiday periods. She was a great gardener and let me help her in the garden. She taught me that you watered plants at their roots, although I didn't really believe it and I remember sneaking out and pouring water over the tops just to make sure they didn't die! I was also quite fascinated by the milk being delivered by horse...in Kerrisdale they still had that system although most of the city had motor trucks. My grandmother would always pick up the droppings for her garden.

She was a wonderful cook and was famous for her gravy and her sugar cookies were always perfect and to die for. She was an excellent lawn bowler and canasta player. I remember her always coming back from these sessions with the "prize" which was a pound of loose tea.


Phoebe and her husband, Thomas.